The 4th race of 7 in the 2017/18 Borders League season took place on Sunday 18th Feb. This time it was hosted by Eryri Harriers and the course is the same as used in the annual Caernarfon 10k, again hosted by Eryri.
For those not having done it, the race starts on the foreshore road opposite to Caernarfon Castle, It is a 10k route and is run in either direction, mostly dependant on weather. Today it went anti-clockwise, running out on the seafront road for a very flat, but slightly windy 4km before turning inland and back via Llanfaglan for the more undulating second half, before dropping down passing the castle and round to the finish.
The conditions were pretty good for a race, it was a cool but bright morning with a minor headwind for the first 4km. all in all a calm day considering it’s normally blowing a gale.
The turnout for this race was relatively low, 298 runners this time, possibly put off by the distance or even that this race fixture has only been finalised in the last few weeks. The turnout for Buckley was lower than normal too, 34 this time, almost half of the last race.
While not everyone was able to make it, quite a few through illness, the results were still very good. Rick Challinor 3rd place, 7 runners in the top 30, also not forgetting our top ladies being 5th and 6th too.
Also really good to see even more new members joining us in these races, today there were 5 people, Glyn Hughes, Nikki Shaw, Phil Jones, Shan Woodward and Joy Hunter.
Overall member results are as follows:
|Rank||Rank M||Rank F||Name||Time||Category||Category|
All of this means the very impressive team results on the day were:
- Men 1st overall with 267 points
- Ladies 2nd with 70 points
- Men’s Vets 2nd this time with 447 points
- Ladies Vets 2nd this time with 33 points
So with 3 races remaining, the current standings are:
- Men 1st overall with 1067 points…extending their lead over Wallasey with 1327
- Ladies jump from 4th to 2nd now with 337 points…only 11 points behind leaders Wallasey – WOW!
- Men’s Vets 1st with 1399 points…extending their lead over Wallasey with 1692
- Ladies Vets 1st with 199…extending their lead over Chester Tri with 219
All results can be seen on the Border League site – here
The next race is in two weeks, at 11am on Sunday 4th March. It is hosted by Tattenhall Runners, it is a 6mile route around the lanes to Burwardsley and back – Route is here!
The remaining races are as follows:
- Race 6 – Sunday 8th April – Staged by Wrexham Tri at Mold
- Race 7 + Presentation – Wednesday 25th April (7:30pm) – Staged by Deestriders
All in all a very impressive day, with three races left we need good turnouts to keep this lead.
…COME ON BUCKLEY!!!