Wednesday 26th April saw the 7th and final race of the 2016\2017 Borders League season. This time, given the midweek evening start, saw a respectable turnout of 347 runners making the journey to Wrexham Industrial Estate for the race hosted by Wrexham AC, which happened to be a new course record.
The conditions were good, It was a beautiful sunny evening with a slight chill in the air. Ideal, for this 4 mile race which sees you taking in the roads around the eastern edge of the industrial estate.
With all to play for The team captains had done a sterling job of rallying the troops with a massive 55 Buckley Runners turning out. Not only our 2nd highest of the season, but also ever (race #4 at Deeside having had 56 runners). With a new record of 20 runners in the ladies team too and our new gazebo on show, there was much to be positive about.
With Buckley Men currently 2nd in Division one, a huge effort was required to overturn the 99 point margin which we tailed the leaders Wallasey AC by. With 5 of our runners home in the top 17 before the first Wallasey runner, we came close, but unfortunately not close enough. Still, there were some notable results on the day, such as both men and women’s teams coming 1st, Max coming 4th overall and Laura 1st lady.
Overall results on the day are as follows:
|Rank||Rank (M)||Rank (F)||Name||Time||Category||Category|
|13||13||John PRITCHARD TAYLOR||21:47||MV45||2|
So another great race for Buckley and with that the end to another Borders League season, the final places for the season include:
- Team: 2nd place in Division 1
- Vets Team: 3rd place in Division 1
- Senior Men: Max in 3rd place
- V40: Jez Brown 1st place
- V45: John Pritchard Taylor 2nd place
- V55: Ian Bayliss 3rd place
- V65: Rob Mackey 3rd place
- V70: John Morris 1st place
- Team: 3rd place in Division 1
- V45: Ceri Cook 2nd place
- V50: Hazel Berrett 1st place
- V50: Margaret Ludden 2nd place
- V50: Jane Lindley 3rd place
On top of that there are many positives to take away from this season, which include:
- The epic turnouts at many races, highest being 56
- The sheer number of new runners who have turned out to represent the club and all loving it
- The progress a number of our newer members have made e.g. Kirsty 6th and Lisa 7th Senior Women for the season
- 80 different runners from Buckley raced in a Borders race this season
Well done everyone, the future is really bright, we hope to see you all racing next season!